Sunday, December 30, 2007

Un Coeur en Hiver (1992) ~ A Heart in Winter ****

This was probably my fourth French movie. Up until then, I had only watched Chinese saga movies. Those dramas were long and rather confusing. Once I left home, I was able to test out experiences that I could not find at home.

I watched this because of Emmanuelle Béart. I first saw her in Manon du Source and fell in love with her classic beauty. Until her, I did not realize that there really were women quite that arresting in looks. When I think of the phase, "A face that launched a thousand ships", I think of Ms. Béart. Sure there are models galore that are supposed to be beautiful. They were all just 2 dimensional faceless mannequins that I could care less about. Watching the emotions and expressions of Ms. Béart flit across her countenance, I could not help being drawn into her characters.

Summary According to Netfix:

Sexual tension flares and fizzles in this subtle French drama set in the confines of a violin shop. Stephane (Daniel Auteuil), the chief instrument builder, is so committed to his work that he barely notices the beautiful young violinist (Emmanuelle Beart) who's sharing a bed with his business partner, Maxime (Andre Dussollier). Problems arise, however, when she aims her passions at Stephane's cold heart.

Length:
101 minutes


Director:
Claude Sautet
Cast:
Daniel Auteuil
Emmanuelle Béart
Andre Dussollier
Elisabeth Bourgine
Brigitte Catillon
Myriam Boyer
Jean-Claude Bouillaud
Stanislas Carre de Malberg

This movie was yet another one I watched in my militant feminist college years. I must admit that this movie probably didn't help the men in my life. Watching this when dating a male who was obviously older, yet definitely less than I in ambition, motivation and perhaps potential, the feelings I felt after watching Un Coeur en Hiver was rather detrimental to Edmund (my then bf).
Where to begin? Although this movie was ranked only as a 4 star for me, it touched me in such a way that I named my blog after the movie. Was it because I bonded with Ms. Béart's character or was it because I felt like Stephane, the violin maker? Honestly, it is probably a little of both.

What was it about this movie that spoke to me so? At the time, I believe it was the rage I felt for a woman so talented with a great future ahead of her, and she throws it all away on a male who could care less. It was obvious that the violinist was going places. And yet she messes it up by entangling herself with a man who was not worthy of her attention. Stephane was a true workaholic. He loved his job so much that it exclude everything else.

Sure Stephane would release his sexual needs on Camille (Béart) whenever he could. She was just a convenient hole to him. Harsh, but my interpretation as a militant 19 year old feminist. My anger was directed at him for not welcoming and wanting to partner with her. How could he get her emotions so tangled that she starts to lose it all? Really, he is the heart in winter. Watching the movie made me determined to be un coeur en hiver so that I would never be as devastated as Camille. No man would destroy my career ambitions or bring me down ever again. (Hence the first ex-bf)

As I look back and watch the movie again years later, I see quite a bit more, having experienced life and (gone through quite a few more males). The fault lays with both. The affair should never had occurred, and perhaps a friendship may have bloomed and stayed. To watch the heartache Camille went through and the high ups and downs, it reminds me that youth enjoys these roller coasters that are not as desirable later in life. Camille's lover Maxime is not the ideal partner either, but at least he tries to be a partner.

It does make me wonder about women who are so driven. What is about us that likes the bad boys badly enough to be burned time and time again? It is almost as if these women purposely sabotage themselves with horrid relationships that only bring the worst out in them.

I recommend this movie to all my fellow sisters who have ambition to do well . . . let this be an example of how easily it would be to fall off the ledge.

No comments: