Saturday, December 29, 2007

Il Postino (1995) *

Il Postino was recommend to me by a co-worker, Juan Mesa. He said it was a wonderful movie and that I had to purchase it. Since I trusted his judgement, I bought the tape.

Here is the synopsis according to Netflix:

Mario Ruoppolo (Massimo Troisi), the mailman on an Italian island, pines from afar for a beautiful waitress. When exiled Chilean poet Pablo Neruda (Philippe Noiret) comes to live on the island, Ruoppolo delivers Neruda's mail and picks up lessons on love, life and poetry. With director Michael Radford's commentary, a featurette about the real-life Neruda and more, Il Postino is a sun-splashed romantic comedy.


Length:
108 minutes


Cast:
Massimo Troisi
Philippe Noiret
Maria Grazia Cucinotta

Personally, I thought this movie was terrible. It was definitely a waste of my money. The entire time I watched the movie, I kept thinking, it's going to get better. I'm going to get to the meat of the movie. When the movie ended, all I did was blink. Then I thought, darn it! I lost 108 minutes of my life and will never get that back!

I wouldn't call this a comedy. To me, it was like watching grass grow or paint dry. The main characters were rather dull. The gritty filming only made the film feel poorly made.

No comments: